No Properties Found!
Try to broaden your current search criteria
The land upon which the present-day town of Brighton is situated originally belonged to the Mississauga (Anishinaabe-speaking) peoples.
Brighton later developed into primarily an agricultural community, specializing in the farming of apples and production of new apple types. However, in recent years, many of the original orchards in the area have been partially removed, to make way for the steadily growing population, and more profitable agricultural produce, such as wheat, corn and soybeans. In late September, Brighton is host to Applefest, its largest yearly festival.
The Municipality of Brighton (formed on January 1, 2001, through an amalgamation of the former Town of Brighton and Brighton Township) is home to over 11,000 inhabitants, with a higher than average percentage of those retired. This is common, as the quiet, clean and friendly atmosphere of many smaller towns near Lake Ontario tend to draw the elderly as popular places for retirement living.
Presqu’ile Provincial Park, just south of the town centre, is one of Brighton’s most popular attractions. The park is noted for bird-watching and other nature-oriented activities. Memory Junction Railway Museum, located in a former Grand Trunk station, has a collection of rail equipment and memorabilia.
Besides the town proper of Brighton, the municipality of Brighton comprises a number of villages and hamlets, including the following communities such as Carman, Codrington, Hilton, Spring Valley, Smithfield (partially); Butler Creek, Cankerville, Cedar Creek, Gosport, Orland, Presqui’le Point, Wade Corners.
The village of Brighton was incorporated on January 1, 1859. On December 1, 1980, it became a town.
The original Simpson house, at 61 Simpson Street, was built in 1850.
This page uses material from the Wikipedia article “Brighton Ontario, Canada”, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0